Setting Up a Plugin or Theme from GitHub
Installing a plugin or theme from GitHub is super easy with WP Pusher. In this guide you will learn about how to setup GitHub and how to install your first plugin or theme.
If you want to install and manage a plugin or theme that is in a private repository on GitHub, you will need to obtain an access token for WP Pusher. You also need a token to enable Push-to-Deploy, no matter if your repository is public or private. In order to obtain a token, all you need to do is to navigate to the GitHub section of the WP Pusher settings screen, click "Obtain a GitHub token" and copy & paste the token into the text field. After clicking the "Save GitHub token" you can now install a private repository from GitHub.
Install a plugin or theme
You find the plugin or theme installation screen in WP admin under "WP Pusher" -> "Install Plugin/Theme". While installing the plugin or theme, you have the following options:
- Repository host: Where the plugin/theme is hosted.
- Plugin/Theme repository: The repository handle, which is "username/repository-name". By clicking the "Pick from GitHub" button, you can copy the handle directly from a list of all your GitHub repositories.
- Repository branch: (Optional) Specify which branch you want to install your plugin/theme from. Defaults to master if left blank.
- Repository subdirectory: (Optional) If your plugin/theme lives in a subdirectory of the repository, you can specify the path here.
- Repository is private: Check this option if your plugin/theme is in a private repository. Requires a license and a GitHub token (see above).
- Push-to-Deploy: Check this option if you want WP Pusher to automatically update the plugin/theme every time you push new code. For GitHub, this is configured automatically by WP Pusher.
- Link installed plugin/theme: If the plugin/theme is already installed and you just want to connect it to WP Pusher, check this option. It is very important that the folder name of the plugin/theme on your web server is the same as the repository name.
Need any help?
If you have any questions about WP Pusher, Git or WordPress, our email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't hesitate shooting us a message! You can also click the little ❤️ in the corner of this page.